Rental Registration Program
Codified Ordinance 1280.10 of the City of University Heights requires that the owners who rent out their one- and two-family dwellings in U-1 and U-2 Zoning Districts register their property with the City, pay a registration fee, and have their property inspected.
Step 1: Understand the City’s Expectations of Rental Property Owners
- Proper maintenance of the property, including but not limited to ensuring windows are not covered by signs, cardboard, newspaper or other papers, replacing broken windows, window shades and shutters within ten days of notification by the City.
- Proper maintenance of the exterior of the property, including but not limited to, cutting of the lawn, trimming of bushes, and ensuring the property is free from trash and clutter within three days of notification by the City.
- Ensuring no more than three unrelated tenants reside at the property.
- Ensuring the tenant of the property accurately represents the number of children residing at the property.
- Pay property taxes in full or be enrolled in a payment plan for delinquent property taxes with Cuyahoga County. Check Cuyahoga County’s MyPlace database to confirm your rental property’s tax status.
- Ensuring that tenants are informed of and comply with all City laws and regulations.
Step 2: Lease Your Property
- The City’s Fair Housing Ordinance prohibits discriminating against persons and families on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ancestry, disability, familial status or national origin, military status, association with a protected class or source of income.
- Once your property is occupied, register your rental property with the City and schedule your inspection as detailed below:
Step 3: Register Your Rental Property and Maintain Compliance
- Rent your property. Applications are only accepted for occupied units.
- Complete the Rental Registration Application and submit it and the Rental Registration Fee by mail (you will be called upon receipt of your application and payment to schedule your inspection) or by visiting our Housing Department and schedule your appointment in person. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Single-family Rental Registration Fee: $300
- Two-family Rental Registration Fee: $400
- Rentable Third-floor Unit Registration Fee: $100 with BZA approval
- Penalty Fee for Failing to Register or Register in Timely Manner: $200 for every month or part thereof
- Once the application and payment have been processed, it is the property owner’s responsibility to schedule a rental inspection within 15 days of application; otherwise a $200 penalty fee will apply for any month or part of a month that the inspection is not scheduled.
- Upon receipt of the Rental Inspection report, the property owner has 30 days to complete violations listed and schedule a re-inspection with a Housing Inspector. To schedule a re-inspection, please visit the Housing Department, call (216) 932-7800, extension 255, or e-mail us at . Inspections are performed Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Monitor tenants for compliance with Expectations and Rental Requirements.
- Maintain compliance with the Expectations, Rental Requirements, and City Housing Code.
- File a Change of Tenant Application when a new lease is signed or tenants change.
- Please note: rental permits are non-transferable.