The Building Department is responsible for the survey and inspection of buildings, and with the enforcement of the building code, and all other codes, laws and ordinances relating to or pertaining to the erection, construction, alteration, repair, removal and safety of buildings, structures, elevators, heating apparatus, gas fittings, house drainage and plumbing steam boilers, electrical wiring, fire escapes and the prevention of smoke.

Click on the subject you want to learn more about:
Building Department Permits

The City requires that a Building Department Permit be obtained before proceeding with any construction, alteration, addition or demolition of any building or accessory structure. The Building Department issues permits and arranges to inspect work and materials to ensure that all activity conforms to the Ordinances of the City of University Heights.

All Building Department Permits are available at the City’s Building Department (3962 Silsby Road).  For permit fees click here.

Fees are payable by cash or check only.

Point of Sale Inspection


All dwelling units which will be offered FOR SALE will be subject to a required point of sale application.  This is an interior and exterior inspection intended to identify violations of the University Heights Housing Code.  Title of the property may not transfer until all corrections have been made, or an agreement of assumption or assumption of violations – snow cover signed by the buyer(s), along with an Escrow Hold Verification Letter (Sample Escrow Letter), are filed with the Building Department. Please refer to FAQ for more information.

Housing inspectors look for violations of the City Housing Code only.  It is recommended that a buyer secure the services of a qualified private inspector.  Neither the City of University Heights nor its representative assumes any liability or responsibility for failure to report any violation(s).  Inspection by the City does not guarantee that all defects have been discovered.  Furthermore, violation(s) may develop after the inspection.

Rental Property Inspection

Owners of rental home property are required to register with the Building Department.

Rental homes undergo an interior and exterior inspection every two years.  Please refer to the application and Section 1480 of the Codified Ordinances for more information.

Regular Exterior Housing Inspection

The Building Department performs an exterior housing inspection for owner-occupied homes on a regular basis.

Contractor Registration

Before allowing contractors to begin work, homeowners should check with the Building Department to verify that permits and contractor registration have been obtained.

Contractors must register with the City before they perform any work which requires a permit.  The registration program establishes minimum standards for contractors.  To become registered, a contractor must submit the following to the Building Department:

  1. $100.00 registration fee;
  2. Certificate of liability insurance;
  3. A surety bond made payable to the City for code compliance; and
  4. Contractor registration.

Contractors (Licensed) as of October 15, 2018

Housing Inspection
  • Point of Sale inspection
  • Rental Property inspection
  • Regular exterior inspection

The point of sale application is available online or from the Building Department.  Please refer to our FAQ document for more information.

Contact Us

Building Department
2300 Warrensville Center Road
University Heights, Ohio 44118
Phone: (216) 932-7800
Staff Directory


Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 4:30 pm


Public Records Request
City Zoning Map